"Together We Can"
Entries Due: October 22nd
What is Reflections?
· Reflections is a nationwide arts program sponsored by PTA. The program “provides opportunities for students to express themselves and to receive positive recognition for their artistic efforts.” (www.pta.org)
Who May Enter?
· Every student is invited to enter as many or as few of the seven categories as they would like (only one entry per category). The categories are: Literature, Musical Composition, Photography, Visual Arts, Dance, Film/Video, Theater*, and 3D-Art*.
· Reflections projects are generally done outside of the classroom. Though teachers may encourage students to submit class work as Reflections entries.
· All Reflections entries must be the work of only one student.
How Do I Enter?
· Read the official rules for the category you would like to enter. Official rules are available from a link found at the Utah PTA website or copies are provided at the front office.
A summery of the category requirements and specific links to rules and entry forms can be found on this website.
· Follow the guidelines carefully so that you don’t get disqualified.
· Do your very best work! (Students must do their own work.)
· Completely fill out the entry form, include signatures.
· Turn in your entry by the due date.
How Are Entries Judged?
· Each entry is judged in three areas: creativity, artistic merit and interpretation of theme.
· Entries receiving Awards of Merit will move on to compete at council, regional, state and national* levels.
· The Grade Divisions are as follows: Primary K-2; Intermediate 3-5; Middle/Junior 6-8.
Students receive a treat for every entry they turn in. The class with the most entries will have a fun class activity and all entries will be awarded ribbons. The top 5 entries in each category chosen to go on to the next level will receive a gift card.
Remember, this is a fun chance to be creative and to express artistic talent. Not every entry can win, but everyone is a winner by entering. Have fun!
*3D-Art and Theater are Utah PTA pilot programs and do not go on to national competition.
Did you know that in 2007 Utah had more per-capita national Reflection winners than any other state?
Did you know that last year Foothill’s Elementary has had two entries make it all the way to the state level?